The Library will be closed, Thursday, November 23rd 2017, for Thanksgiving Day.
The Bookmobile will be down November 20-25 for scheduled maintenance and collection rotation. We will be back in service on November 27.
×

Twin Falls Public Library


Board Minutes

Minutes of the Board of Trustees

Wednesday, August 9th 2017

  • Approved on Monday, September 11th 2017

The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees was held on Wednesday, August 9, 2017 in the Library’s Board Room.  Attending the meeting were Trustees Chris Vaage, Tona Casella, Monica D’Angelo, Kyle Tarbett and John Van Engelen; Library Director Tara Bartley; Staff Member Amy Mortensen and Karolee Sorenson .

Chairman Chris Vaage called the meeting to order at 4:32 p.m. with brief introductions.

The Trustees MSC approval of the August 9, 2017 agenda. John VanEngelen made the motion to approve.  Monica D’Angelo 2nd the motion.

The Trustees MSC the approval of the July 12, 2017 minutes. Tara addressed a change on the minutes of July 12, 2017 changing the date of the Foundation Scramble for Books golf tournament from September 16, 2017 to September 9, 2017.  Tona Casella made the motion to approve.  Kyle Tarbett 2nd the motion.

Approval of Financial Statements

John looked over the bills and recommended approval.  The Trustees MSC the approval of the July 2017 bills. John VanEngelen made the motion to approve last month’s bills, Monica D’Angelo 2nd the motion. Roll call vote taken.  Approved 5-0. 

Financial/Statistical report:  MSC the approval of the July 2017 Financial Statements.  The Trustees MSC the approval of the July 2017 Financial Statements.  Kyle Tarbett made the motion to approve the July 2017 Financial Statements.  John VanEngelen 2nd the motion.   Roll call vote taken.  Approved 5-0.

Tara explained we were in the process of completing the Statistical Reports and will have up to date reports at the board meeting in September.  No motion to approve.

Communications & Correspondence

Labor Day, September 4 the library will be closed. 

July 27 Pop Up Book Sale from 11:00 am to 8:00 p.m.  Approximately $568.00 was made during the sale.  Discussion was to contact various organizations; Better World Books to send donated books to for resale or donation to areas in need of books.  Discussion of possibly doing another sale later in the fall. 

Discussion of digital signage in the foyer above the book return to highlight upcoming library events and at a later date place digital signage inside the library.

Wednesday, August 9, Chris Anderson from Herretts Museum will be here to discuss the eclipse at 7:00 p.m.

Friday, August 18 a Special Eclipse movie, The Watcher in the Woods at 1:00 p.m.

Monday, August 21 Sun Block Party, 10:00 am to noon.  The Library has requested a permit from the City to block off Hansen Street in front of the library for an Eclipse Party. Various vendors and activities are planned.    The library received a grant for glasses.  These glasses will be available to patrons who attend the programs at the block party. 

Refugee Reading Program will be shifted back an hour so that we can collaborate with the Refugee Center with the programs they are doing.

Staff Picnic will be scheduled for September.  Permission requested of the Board to close at 6:00 p.m. one evening during the week so all staff could attend.   The Board granted the permission.

City Council

Twin Falls City Manager, Travis Rothweiler commended the Twin Falls Public Library for the great services we provide for the community and is looking forward to the City of Twin Falls to become more involved with the library in the future.  City of Twin Falls is working on the budget.  Should be available for public comment August 28.  There have been 11 claims made to the state for winter road damage.  The state will fund $1,000,000 towards Eastland Road.  The City just received notice that the state has agreed to fund 4 million more towards winter road damage in Twin Falls.  August 10 is the grand opening for the new South Hills Middle School.  Fourth block of Main Street is starting while work is being done on the 3rd block.  Plans for City Hall to move into new offices is October but will not be fully utilized until January.  A grand opening is planned. The new Police Dispatch Center is up and running. 

Library Foundation

Golf tournament is set for September 16.   Yearly audit was completed and received a good report.   October is donor appreciation month. 

Finance & Budgeting

August 8 finance committee met.  Discussion was internal controls.

  1. Review of payable procedures.Historically the payables have always been reviewed by the Treasurer before the board meeting the day of the board meeting.John is good with continuing to review payables this way and should be according to the discretion of how the new treasurer each time would prefer to handle the review.

  2. Payroll.Current payroll procedures on issuing paper checks for 1st and last payroll of an employee.Is there a particular reason as to why the procedures are written this way?After discussion it was determined there was no particular reason as to why the procedures were written this way and the wording can be changed in the procedure to reflect the option of direct deposit or a paper check is requested.

  3. Preliminary assessment of budget is out.It was recommended that we receive an increase of 3.77% for payroll and operations and 5% for capital. We requested 4% and received 3.77%.

Building & Grounds

James gave a tour of building and discussed the needs for the next five years.  HVAC upgrade in the new fiscal year.  Painting the railings, elevator and roofing project are completed for this fiscal year.

Planning & Public Relations

Discussion on engaging people into completing the survey for the Strategic Plan.  Contacted Albertsons, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer to set up table for patrons to complete survey. August 21 at Sun Block Party we will be handing out the survey.  There will be survey’s available at the Circulation counter, website and emails to patrons.  The receipts will have a link to access the Survey as well as social media and we will also distribute at the Farmers Market.

Operations & Personnel

There was discussion on creating a public relations policy and media guidelines for the Library and staff.  Request to update the circulation policy regarding the WIFI Hotspots and outdoor kits.  Offer educator cards from September – June changes may be made at the discretion of the director .  Charge a$1.00 a day plus tax for replacement cards.  Kyle Tarbett motioned to approve, Chris Vaage 2nd.

Business Issues

ShareIdaho OCLC Group Lending Service fees are changing.  Currently the cost has been $4,600 for the last two years changing to $4000.   Request to pay the new fee and continue our membership.  John VanEngelen motioned to approve, Tona Casella 2nd the motion.

Library Staff

Report on Adult Summer reading for the months of June and July.  Program attendance was up 42% over last year.  We offered 9 more programs this summer than last and also ran the Readers Dozen concurrently.  Participation in the challenges was down by about 75%.  We had fewer challenges this year increased staff time/effort involved in the programs as opposed to the challenges, and fewer brochures were handed out.  We will be looking at finding a balance between the two for next year.

Library Director

Update on Capital Improvement roofing project.  The roofing project is done and Versaco has signed off on the warranty.  Humans of the Magic Valley had 50 conversations within a 2 hour period.  Looking at doing another  book sale either in the fall or early winter.  Credit card ending in 8171 was compromised.  We have cancelled the card and a new card has been reissued.

Public Comment

No report

Additional Comments

Library Incident:(Tara)

Comment on Face book regarding a person the library collaborates with.  The person commenting said they will not use our library if we continue to support this person.  Suggested we continue to collaborate and not get involved.

Scheduling of meeting dates:

Committee Meeting – First week of September (if needed)

Board Meeting:  September 13, 2017

Chris Vaage adjourned the meeting at 5:45 pm    

Respectfully submitted,

Karolee Sorenson, Administrative Assistant

*sent to and reviewed by Monica D’Angelo, Secretary