Minutes of the Board of Trustees

Wednesday, April 13th 2016

Approved on Wednesday, April 13th 2016

April 13, 2016

Minutes of the Board of Trustees

Twin Falls Public Library

 

The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees was held on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 in the Library’s Board Room.  Attending the meeting were Trustees Ben Cluff, Margaret Peck, Kyle Tarbett and Chris Vaage; Library Director Tara Bartley; City Council Liaison Suzanne Hawkins; Library Staff Member Wanda Harris;  Auditor Scott Hunsaker. Absent, John Van Engelen.

 

Chairman Ben Cluff called the meeting to order at 4:35 p.m.

 

The Trustees MSC approval of April 13, 2016 agenda. 

The Trustees MSC the approval of the March 8, 2016 minutes.

The Trustees MSC the approval of the April 2016 bills. Roll call vote taken. Approved.

Financial and Statistical report review. No discussion. Motion to approve. Roll call vote taken. Approved.

 

Audit Report (Scott Hunsaker)

Library is unique, a blended component of the City. Separate audit, blended into the City Financials. Biggest portion of revenue is property taxes. The unqualified opinion, a clean opinion. The budget process is working well. Nothing unanticipated, audit went well. No questions from the board, no discussion.

 

Communications & Correspondence

Communications/Correspondence:

National Library Week is this week. Jennifer Hill did a presentation on Harald Gerber, was well attended. Name the Bookmobile event at Robert Stuart, new name is BB2. Thursday, we will have musician Jordan Thornquest in Youth Services. Friday, staff will attend the ILA conference. Saturday is a Storybook Character meet and great in children’s area. We have a mailbox for kids to write letters to characters, with staff responding.

Art & Soul, we are participating again. An evening event will be on April 28th, from 6 to 8pm to highlight artist.

 

Library video was being created by CSI students as internship. Video was shown to the board. They are moving into digital services video next. We will put them on our Facebook page and website.

We had a KMVT appearance in March, Erica and Kasi highlighted new Youth Services programs.

Friday is the ILA Spring Conference at CSI. 5 staff members are going, 5 staff members are presenting, Amy, Jennifer, Kasi, Erica and Kathleen.

 

City Council

City Council Liaison report (Suzanne Hawkins):

Yesterday had a “golden sledgehammer” event, started demolition. Gave building over to contractor. City Hall is moving temporarily to Key Bank. Broke ground on airport expansion, adding 81,000 square feet. Streets projects, ADA corners. North College Road project, slower than anticipated. Cliff Bar is opening late spring or early summer. Six weeks breaking ground for Fed Ex at airport. Hoping to entice other businesses to expand at airport location. Online permitting system now. Operation Facelift downtown, will have people submit applications.

Library Foundation

No report

Finance & Budgeting

Finance/Budgeting (Kyle)

Discussed roof, estimate was just under $60,000. Will request capital improvement in budget for $60,000. Talked about a new position we included in budget. Would be under Adam as supervisor. Technology and Marketing. Designed job description as per needs. Would put in reference area to answer computer questions, as well as marketing. Entry level position. 

Building & Grounds

Building/Grounds (John and Kyle)

Roof project discussed. New Building Maintenance, James Starling, starts next week. Will delay front entry resurfacing until he is on board. Look at August to start project. Electronic access security on doors is another project the library is looking at. Quote was $12,000. May have money at end of budget year. If not, can include in budget request in 2017-2018.  

Planning & Public Relations

No report

Operations & Personnel

Operations/Personnel (Chris and John)

Update to 3D printer policy. Change cost to .10 per meter. 3D printer will be moved to circulation desk area. Motion to approve updated policy. Approved.

Creation of Wi Fi Hotspot policy, Internet to Go. Lend for 2 weeks, renew up to 3 times if no holds. Suggestion is to put limit on availability for frequently returning late. It is not a contract with service, can cancel anytime. Will be a pilot program with 17 devices to start. Motion to approve new policy. Approved

Business Issues

Business Issues:

Capital Improvement, roof replacement, new personnel. Gave handouts to board for overall budget documents requested by City, FY 2016-2017.

Library Staff

No report

Library Director

Library Director Report:  

Youth Services project. Moving items to bottom shelves that are currently empty to create space. Putting in Spanish collection for youth. We will be piloting program in YS, for time management on computer usage. Adam is creating time management system to work with printing system. Hope to launch by June.

ILS had 4 different trainings this month. Will start soft launch marketing the following week.

Director, yearly evaluation coming up next month. Will have executive session to discuss evaluation at next board meeting.

Public Comment

No report

Additional Comments

Library Incidents:

Incident on public computers with inappropriate browsing. Police were contacted. Police wanted access to look at browsing history. Due to patron privacy requirements they needed to obtain search warrant. Search warrant was provided and information was handed over.

 
 Will schedule Executive Session, May 3rd at 5pm. Tara will send out review forms.

 

Ben Cluff announced the next regular meeting is May 11 th, 2016 and adjourned the meeting at 5:58pm.

                       

Respectfully submitted,

Wanda Harris, Sec. Pro. Tem

*sent to and reviewed by John Van Engelen, Secretary